Skip to main content

Who can I talk to for help? - HOW DO I / International students / Living in New Zealand - NMIT Support

Who can I talk to for help?

Wellbeing Support Team

We can help you with:

  • Adjustment to student life
  • Connections to people of your culture
  • Balancing your study with work and family commitments
  • Pasifika Support
  • Relationship issues
  • Access to free counselling
  • Referrals to community and government agencies
  • Health concerns and medical referrals

You can find them in the Library Learning Centre (LLC) at Nelson Campus and Marlborough Campus, or email Wellbeing support.

Urgent Support

If you need urgent support from an NMIT team member 24/7, call 0800 718 277.


Free Counselling

NMIT students have free access to a counselling service provided by OCP, a professional company that offers the services of a team of independent counsellors and psychologists throughout New Zealand. First language support is available for international students.

Through this service you will be able to address issues such as:

  • Personal or study stress
  • Relationship problems
  • Conflict situations
  • Anxiety/depression
  • Grief/loss
  • Violence
  • Harassment
  • Personal trauma
  • Addictions
  • Budget advice

To find out more about free counselling sessions contact 0800 377 990,  or visit OCP.

There are many people who can help

Remember there are other students who know exactly how you are feeling and who can answer your questions. You can also talk to your host family and people employed at NMIT to help you adjust and enjoy your time here.  It is very important that you talk to somebody if there is something that is worrying you.