Skip to main content

What medical and travel insurance do I need? - HOW DO I / International students / Insurance - NMIT Support

What medical and travel insurance do I need?

The New Zealand Government requires international students to be covered by an NMIT-approved current medical and travel insurance.  As an international student on a student visa you are unlikely to be entitled to publicly funded health services and as such you may be liable for the full cost of and treatment. 

NMIT will automatically arrange insurance coverage for all students. You can choose your own insurance company, however it must comply with the minimum standards required by the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 (the Code).

The costs for:

2024:  NZD$789.00 (or NZD$66.00 approximately per calendar month)

Read more about insurance and the recommended policy.

Also read Immigration New Zealand's insurance guidelines including section U3.45 Insurance requirements for fee-paying foreign students.