Skip to main content

How do I get a student ID card? - HOW DO I / Current students - NMIT Support

How do I get a student ID card?

All eligible students are entitled to and issued with a NMIT Student ID card.  Students enrolled on Short Courses are not eligible.

You can use the Student ID card to access services on campus and with selected retailers for student discount.  New students are issued with a Student ID card with the rest of their class during the first few weeks on campus.  Returning students are able to obtain a Student ID card after the programme start date.  You may wish to know that we store this photo in our student management system and may be used for other internal administrative purposes.  

Where do I go to obtain a Student ID card?

  • Information and Enrolments team at Nelson campus  (office hours:  Monday-Thursday 8.00 am-5.00pm, Friday 8.00 am-4.30 pm)
  • Administration office at Marlborough campus
  • Administration office at Richmond Campus  

What name appears on the Student ID card?

Your legal first name and surname will appear on the Student ID card.  Preferred names (no nicknames) may appear on the Student ID card, please email with your request. 

Provide/update your preferred photo

As your Student ID contains your photo, we will take a photo at the time of issue.  

If you wish to provide your own photo (especially important if you are studying off campus or unable to visit us during the day) then you can email one to us for use with photo ID (driver's licence or passport) to prove identity.   We request that the photo conforms to the New Zealand Passport Office requirements.  Please ensure the photo is from the chest up and has clear space above the head in order for your photo to fit on the card (see below).  Please email the photo file with photo identification to with your student id number as a reference. 


Replacement Student ID card

The Student ID card is valid only in the year of issue. New Student ID cards for subsequent years of study will be re-issued on request.  If you have been issued with a card for the current year and you misplaced it and wish to have another one reprinted, the cost is $15.00.