Before beginning to search for employment, it is a really good idea to settle into your studies
This is because after a few weeks of study, you will understand your study workload and will be able to find a job that will fit around your timetable and course work. You will also get to know other students who may be able to offer advice on where to find work.
Some popular places for finding work
The work that you find might not necessarily be related to your course. Jobs in retail and the service industry often have greater flexibility in terms of being able to work at the weekends and in the evenings. These are places that other students have found part-time employment:
- Fast food outlets such as McDonalds and Burger King
- Petrol stations
- Retail stores
- IT companies
- Seasonal employment in the horticulture industry.
Where to find jobs
- Talk to other students at NMIT
- Visit the SANITI office in the Student Centre (Nelson campus)
- Websites such as:
- Jobs | Shopless NZ
- Student Job Search
- Picknz (for seasonal work)
- Seasonaljobs (for seasonal work)
- Work and income
- Noticeboards on campus and at supermarkets, libraries, shop windows
- SANITI Employment Facebook page
- Employment agencies such as
- Advanced Personnel
- Cover Staff
- Intepeople (Nelson & Marlborough only, for mid-management administrators)
- RecruitIT (for IT jobs)
- Tempz Personnel Ltd (Nelson only)
CV Writing and Interview Skills Training
NMIT's student association SANITI has a full-time employment coordinator to support students to find work by offering CV writing and interview skills training as well as up-to-date local job news.
There are also several websites that can help you put together a great CV and provide tips on writing cover letters and interview skills:
What do I need to find work?
- A current CV - (Also known as a Resume - a document containing details of your work and study experience).
- Passport (with your student visa showing that you are eligible to work in New Zealand)
- An IRD number
- A great smile and lots of enthusiasm!